VEAP Educational Benefits

The VEAP program stands for the Vietnam Veterans Education Assistance program. It is a program for veterans who paid into the VEAP program while they were on active duty. Eligible veterans who served in Vietnam or the Post Vietnam era, who paid into this program are eligible for its benefits when they retire. After separation from Active Duty, a Veteran has ten years to use their VEAP benefits, but this can be extended in some situations for specific reasons. The VEAP program offers up to 36 months of training benefits, depending on how much the veteran paid into their VEAP program while on active duty. The VEAP program can pay for the following type of programs: -Apprenticeship or On the Job Training courses. -High School diploma or GED courses. -Correspondence training courses. -Qualified University or College Training programs. -Flight Training, in some situations. -Business, Vocational or Technical School Training. -Tests, Certifications, or Licenses or training needed to advance, obtain or keep a job. If you are still on active duty and participated in the VEAP program you may still be eligible. You can also at times switch your benefits over to the Montgomery GI Bill. Generally, the benefits under the MGIB are more lucrative than those under the VEAP program, but transfer or changing to the MGIB program is entirely voluntary. The VEAP program has a number of other regulations, not everyone is qualified even if they have paid into the program. At the least they would receive their VEAP money refunded to them. The VA dollar amount available in the VEAP program is the sum total of: -Your total VEAP dollar amount contribution PLUS- -Matching VA funds equal to two times the amount of your contribution, PLUS -Any Department of Defense or Service “Kickers” that were in effect that apply to you. The amount of VEAP funds that may be available to you will depend on the amount you contributed, the type of training you select to receive, and the time in training you will spend. It is important to make sure that the type of training program you have selected is approved for VA training assistance. Once you have made sure your training applies, then obtain VA Form 22-1990, Application for Benefits for Education, and send the completed application to the regional VA office that has jurisdiction over the state in which you will train. If you have any questions your local VA office should be able to assist you.




Leave a Reply

Previous Post <<
Next Post >>