Have you determined that you meet the basic eligibility requirements of the National Guard? If you are in position to join, you don’t have to wait any longer to make this a reality. Once you know you are a good candidate, there are only a few more steps to go.
1. Contact a National Guard representative in your area. This is the first step in the process. Meeting with a representative will allow you to learn more about the National Guard and how you fit in. There is no obligation or guarantees, so you don’t have to be nervous about attending this informational session.
2. Take the ASVAB. If you find that you are a good fit for the National Guard you need to take the ASVAB to get a better idea of what type of career is best for you.
3. Enlist. Are you sure you want to become a soldier in the National Guard? If so, it is time to enlist. At this point, you will do the following: schedule a physical exam, lock in your Basic Combat Training ship date, confirm your job selection, approve all bonuses and benefits, and take your Oath of Enlistment.
4. Recruitment Sustainment Program. The day you leave for Basic Combat Training depends on your National Guard job selection and the school you are required to attend. If you don’t ship for several months, you are required to attend the Recruitment Sustainment Program one weekend per month. This will help you prepare for the Guard, from fitness to the overall structure and everything in between.
5. Ship to Basic Combat Training. This is when you start your journey to becoming a top notch soldier in the Guard. After a 10 week training period, you will be mentally and physically stronger than you ever imagined possible.
As you can see, joining the National Guard can be quick and efficient. What are you waiting on?